Each year the crisp and colorful fall colors lure travelers from around the globe for a New England vacation. The six US states that make up New England include Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island.
Perfectly planned New England fall vacations feature a good balance of historic and local sightseeing, reveling in the mid-Atlantic fall colors, the incredible scenery, and relaxing in posh New England hotels.
New England Things to Do
Rich in American history and heritage, these north-eastern US coastal states offer much to experience for tourists on a New England vacation:
- Visit Boston, the “Cradle of Liberty” and follow the route taken by Paul Revere.
- Visit the Battle Green, where the American Revolution officially started with a single “shot heard around the world.”
- Visit John F. Kennedy’s summer ‘white house’ in Hyannis, near Cape Cod.
- Walk down the historical streets of Edgartown, lined with exquisite Colonial homes.
- Tour the 70 room Vanderbilt summer cottage known as “The Breakers” in Rhode Island.
- Admire paintings at the Norman Rockwell Museum near the Berkshire Mountains in Western Massachusetts, and walk through Norman Rockwell’s artist studio that has been left virtually untouched.
- Check in to the town of Woodstock, Vermont, otherwise known as the “prettiest small town in America.”
- Savor a truly authentic lobster dinner in Portland, Maine, along the Atlantic coast.
Popular New England Vacation Sights
While on your New England vacation, you cannot miss out on the most popular, must-see New England destinations, such as:
Plymouth Rock, Massachusetts: Studied by children in history classes across the United States, Plymouth Rock is a symbol of the first Pilgrims to land in America in 1620. Park guides and interpreters are on hand to answer any questions about this historical part of our United States history.
Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts: This island is full of natural beauty, unsoiled beaches and clay cliffs, which boast of a timeless element that lures visitors to return time and again. The charm and character of Martha’s Vineyard, the island named after a European sailor’s daughter, attracts artists, poets, and singers as well as celebrities and tourists.
Newport, Rhode Island: Home to Newport Colonial Mansions and known as the sailing capital of the world. Newport’s top sights include the famous Vanderbilt Summer Cottage, the 400 Club’s mansion, and St. Mary’s church, where John F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Bouvier wed.
Caravan’s New England Vacations
Enjoy a fully escorted New England Vacation by Caravan Tours. These all inclusive tours loop through all six New England states along the northern East Coast of the United States.
Included in New England vacation are stops at most of the destinations mentioned in this article.
Visit Caravan’s New England Tour Reviews page to read experiences by fellow travelers on this fully escorted, all-inclusive fall colors tour of New England by Caravan Tours or call 1-800-CARAVAN (227-2826)