(Editor’s Note – This original post from December 2011 has been updated to reflect current Costa Rica tour activities.)
With a name that literally means “Rich Coast,” Costa Rica is sure to be the perfect vacation destination with something in store for everyone who chooses to holiday here.
Costa Rica is a small Central American country but although small in size (just under 20,000 square miles), Costa Rica is overflowing with natural wonders and exotic tropical beauty.
No matter who you are or where you are from, for most visitors, a well-planned Costa Rica vacation definitely includes stopping at the country’s two most famous volcanoes, Arenal volcano and Poás volcano. Some of the most popular Costa Rica vacations may also include:
- Hiking or walking through tropical virgin rainforests and cloud forests
- Relaxing on white sandy beaches at world class resorts
- Exploring wildlife refuges, nature reserves, and protected turtle nesting beaches
- Taking in jungle river cruises and bird watching cruises
- Or taste-testing at local coffee, pineapple, and banana plantations
Top 4 Costa Rica Tourism Destinations
When vacationing in Costa Rica you cannot miss out on four of the most popular, must-see Costa Rica destinations including:
- Leatherback Turtles National Park: This protected marine and wildlife refuge is one of the more popular National Parks in Costa Rica and a top eco-tourism destination. Plan to travel here between September and March to catch a glimpse of the prime nesting season for leatherback turtles. This national park also has an overabundance of mammals and birds (over 174 species!), plus truly unique flora and fauna just waiting to be explored.
- Poás Volcano: This popular Costa Rica volcano is located near the center of country. Poás Volcano is often misty and cloudy but when the mist breaks, visitors are given a unique glimpse of the green sulphuric lake that shoots geysers up over 800 feet in the air. At a mile wide and over 1,000 feet deep, Poás volcano is the world’s largest active crater.
- Caño Negro National Wildlife Refuge: The only way to get to Cano Negro, one of Costa Rica’s most popular tourist destinations, is on a boat cruise along the Rio Frio River. Experienced Costa Rica tour guides help visitors stay on the lookout for migratory birds, crocodiles, web-footed water walking lizards, spider monkeys, jaguars, cougars, and more.
- Arenal Volcano: Located about 55 kilometers northwest of Costa Rica’s capital San José, Arenal Volcano remained dormant for several hundred years until it erupted suddenly in 1968 creating three more craters. Only one crater still exists today and tourists enjoy visiting one of the 10 most active volcanoes in the world (from a safe distance of course).
All Inclusive Costa Rica Vacations
Because Costa Rica is small it is possible to travel from the Pacific Coast to the Atlantic Coast and see all the major attractions in between while on Caravan’s 9-day Costa Rican vacation. Caravan’s Costa Rica tour guests are pleasantly surprised by not only the tropical diversity of Costa Rica but also how affordable it is to travel Costa Rica all inclusive on Caravan’s fully guided tours!
Caravan Costa Rica vacations well planned with tour itineraries that make them ideal all inclusive, fully guided trips for every type of traveler including singles, couples, families and seniors.
Costa Rica All Inclusive Vacations by Caravan Tours
There is a good reason why Caravan has named Costa Rica the “Natural Paradise”.
Caravan Tours offers Costa Rica vacation packages that include most of the destinations and activities mentioned in this article. Visit Caravan’s Costa Rica tour reviews page to read about the personal travel experiences of previous tour guests on Caravan’s fully guided, all inclusive tour of Costa Rica.
Call 1-800-CARAVAN (227-2826) to reserve your space today!